AGM Batteries vs. Gel Batteries How does a battery work? Why won't my vehicle start? What should I consider when buying a battery? The Anatomy of a Battery Battery Safety Handling Cycle Capacity Comparison Powersports AGM battery fitment & filling Battery Terms, Definitions, and Glossary What causes battery failure?
← Battery Basics
What causes battery failure?
Battery Application and Installation
- The battery is not being used in the application for which it was designed
- The battery is not sized properly for the application
- The vehicle has excessive electrical accessories
- The battery is not properly fitted into the vehicle
- The battery cables are not clean
- The battery cables have not been properly adjusted to fit the battery terminals
Battery Service and Maintenance
- The vehicle’s electrical system has been repaired or altered
- The vehicle has been stationary for a long period of time
- The vehicle has been brought in from or driven in another part of the country for a long period of time
Visual Inspection of Battery
- Terminals show signs of having been hammered, twisted or driven down into the cover
- Side terminals show signs of over-torquing
- Container or cover show signs of stress, damage or high temperature.
- Ends of the battery are pushed out indicating plate growth