Jump-starting a car
FIRST, READ AND FOLLOW ALL SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
WARNING — BATTERIES PRODUCE EXPLOSIVE GASES.
These instructions are designed to minimize the explosion hazard while jump-starting a car. Keep sparks, flames and cigarettes away from batteries at all times.
- Both batteries should be of the same voltage (6, 12, etc.).
- When jump-starting, always wear proper eye protection and never lean over the battery.
- Do not jump start a damaged battery; inspect both batteries before connecting booster cables.
- Be sure vent caps are tight and level.
- Be sure that the vehicles are not touching and that both ignition switches are in the “OFF” position.
- Turn off all electrical equipment (radio, defroster, windshield wipers, lights, etc.).
The following steps should be followed exactly:
- Connect positive (+) booster cable to positive (+) terminal of discharged battery.
- Connect other end of positive (+) cable to positive (+) terminal of assisting battery.
- Connect negative (-) cable to negative (-) terminal of assisting battery.
- MAKE FINAL CONNECTION OF NEGATIVE (-) CABLE TO ENGINE BLOCK OF STALLED VEHICLE, AWAY FROM BATTERY AND CARBURETOR.
- Be sure that cables are clear of fan blades, belts and other moving parts of both engines.
- Start vehicle and remove cables in REVERSE order of connections.